Tuesday, April 27, 2010

No-Knead Bread Making 101

I've made a lot of bread in my time. My husband studied the art of making sourdough starter to the point where I couldn't stand to hear another word. He was even considering taking his starter to bed with us to keep it warm. (OK, that’s an exaggeration, but he did tell me that’s what they used to do in the old days.) To be honest, I’ve always been a little disappointed with our homemade bread. Many a loaf has come out so dense and heavy that you’d rather play football with it than eat it. But I have finally found the most brilliant, fool-proof, scrumptious deliumptious recipe. I spotted it in Martha Stewart Living last month and just knew it was going to be a winner. This whole-wheat recipe is from My Bread by Jim Lahey and Rick Flaste. It does not require any kneading, but you must (and I mean must) cook it in a Dutch oven for the most perfectly crunchy crust and a light and airy inside. I’m talking easy, heavenly success—not to mention a load of savings compared to fresh bakery bread. You must try it--trust me!

PS: For an inexpensive and very reliable Dutch oven check out Lodge, which is what I use (shown above), and I'm so in love with it I just might take it to bed to keep us warm.